Alison Hermann, MD
Assistant Professor in Clinical Psychiatry
Clinical Appointments/Hospital Affiliation
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medicine
Description of Practice/Services Offered
General Adult and Reproductive Psychiatry, including consultations, medication management, and individual psychotherapy (CBT, IPT, supportive psychotherapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy)
Areas of Research
Behavioral Neuroscience, Developmental Pediatrics, Reproductive Psychiatry Education
- MD from SUNY Health Science Center Brooklyn 1977
- General Residency Training at Columbia University Medical Center-New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Fellowship in Women’s Mental Health at Columbia University Medical Center
NY State Medical License 256329
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Diplomate
Honors / Awards
2016 Award for Excellence in Teaching by the New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center Psychiatry Residents
2008 APA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Psychiatry at SUNY Health Science Center Brooklyn
- Sheldon SB, Pettigrew DB, Hermann AD, Zhou W, Sullivan PM, Crutcher KA, Strauss KI: A simple, efficient tool for assessment of mice after unilateral parietal cortex injury. J Neurosci Meth 2008; 168: 431-442.
- Susser LC, Sansone SA, Hermann AD: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors for Depression in Pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Dec;215(6):722-730.
- Susser LC, Hermann AD: Protection against hormone-mediated mood symptoms. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2016 Dec 16 [Epub ahead of print].
- Osborne LM, Hermann AD, Burt V, Driscoll K, Fitelson E, Meltzer-Brody S, Murphy Barzilay E, Nagle-Yang S, Miller L: Reproductive Psychiatry: The Gap Between Clinical Need and Education. AJP-15-06-0837 (October 2015 issue).
- 2012 American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting Workshops
• Making the Most of your Chief Year: Chief Residents Forum
• “Maybe you should see someone?”: The challenges of referring resident colleagues to mental health and substance treatment
- 2013 Perinatal Mental Health Meeting: Optimizing Maternal Treatment To Improve Infant Outcomes
• Perinatal psychiatry in the next generation: Toward a unified approach to women’s mental health fellowships
- 2014 Postpartum Support International Conference
• Split Loyalties: Caring for pregnant women who have severe mental illness, violence, and substance abuse
- 2015 Perinatal Mental Health Meeting: Translational Research in Perinatal Mental Health: Laboratory to Bedside to Community Practice (abstracts submitted for acceptance)
• Reproductive Psychiatry Education: Toward a National Curriculum
• OCD with Absent Insight: The Implications of the DSM-V for Postpartum OCD
- 2016 AADPRT Annual Meeting: Passionate and Wise: Inspiring Dedication, Retaining Humanity • Reproductive Psychiatry: What is it and why must we teach it?
Extramural Professional Responsibilities:
- Journal Reviews:
• Comprehensive Psychiatry, 2012
- Invited Lectures:
• Brooklyn Defender Services, 2016
• Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice, 2016
- Legal Advocacy for Incarcerated Mothers:
• New York State Supreme Court Indictment # 02149/2012, Lisette Bamenga, 2016
• Illinois House Bill 1764, MITIGATION-POST-PARTUM DEPRESS, 2017